Waroona is a beautiful country town situated 112km from Perth. The tourist information centre is well worth a visit, not just to gather information, but also to have a look at the crafty totem poles outside the centre. Native fauna and flora are carved into the poles.
The town was settled by John Fouracre in 1891 and was originally known as Drakesbrook. In 1895 a timber mill was built in town and the lots surveyed near the mill became known as Waroona. These two settlements gradually merged into one town. The name was officially changed in 1946.
Waroona Dam is also known as Lake Navarino. It is a few kilometres east of the town. It is used for recreational purposes. Power boating is allowed.
Another major attraction is fishing with Marron, Trout and Perch abounding. Bird lovers will be delighted with the black cockatoos and 28’s. There are picnic areas, BBQ areas and toilets available.
For the campers and holiday makers there are two caravan parks close to the dam to cater for your needs.
This is a popular picnic spot for the locals with shaded tables and gas barbeques. No power boats are allowed, which makes for great swimming as well as fishing. The dam is stocked annually with Rainbow Trout.
A very interesting plaque can be found on the wall of weir. It commemorates the discovery of Western Australia’s first specimen of the noisy scrub bird.