The SS Mildura was a cattle ship on its way from the Kimberley when it got lost in a cyclone in 1907. It was a 2217 ton steel steamer built in Glasgow in 1901.
The Mildura was wrecked on March 10, 1907 when it clipped the North West reef. The crew was rescued by SS Burrumbeet but all the cattle on board were left to die.
Salvaged timber and iron from the Mildura were used in renovations at the Yardie Station homestead. The hull sat on the reef until WW2 when it was used for bombing practice.
The wreck can be found at the end of Mildura Wreck Road. Today it makes for dramatic photos and a nursery for reef sharks.
Vlamingh Head Lighthouse
Due to the location of this lighthouse it provides sweeping views of the Cape. It was built in 1912 and was originally known as the North West Cape Lighthouse on Vlamingh Head. This lighthouse was built because of the wrecking of the Mildura in 1907 along this coastline. The first light to come from this lighthouse was on 10 December 1912.
It was damaged by Cyclone Vance but today it is fully restored. It also has the distinction of being Australia’s only kerosene burning lighthouse.
The original Keepers Cottages are today being used as the personal residence of the owners of the Lighthouse Caravan Park.
It is an excellent spot for viewing wildlife. Osprey and sea eagles are often seen. There is a coin operated binocular to assist in viewing the humpback whales during their migration. More photos.